Monday, September 26, 2011

Work, Work, Work


Oi!
Man what a week!! Missionary work is certainly like a rollercoaster everyday. This week we have been trying to find more people to teach, but not with much luck! It´s pretty difficult. Anyways so we had a baptism for this saturday but when we went there and got everything set up, she said that it couldn´t happen today because no one could come. So we were pretty bummed about that. But later that day we went to talk to her and we got it set up for that next day, sunday. So we kept our fingers crossed and luckily it happened!!! Yay!! Maria is very strong with her testimony and will now be a strong member of the church. The two that were baptized last week were confirmed this week. So now they are members and all´s going well!
So no matter what, I will always be emailing you on monday, even if it isn´t my p day. For example last week it wasn´t my p day because we were able to go to the temple on wednesday. That was awesome!! I´m glad that we have the opportunity to go every 3 months but I think you have to be in the city of São Paulo. Not completely sure. It´s hard to know what´s going on sometimes haha.
So I think this p day (which, again isn´t today because we have a zone conference) I will try and print pictures because I tried sending in an email and it didn´t work. But maybe next time i´m not sure!!!
It sure is hard being a missionary!! I really want to be the best I can be, but sometimes it´s really hard when you're the junior companion! My companion is really good but he does things a little differently. Like not keeping the best of records sometimes, or spending too much time at a member's house. But he is a really good missionary and when we teach, he really teaches by the spirit and lets our investigators know that we love them. We are just in a slump right now because we don´t have very many people to teach.
I´m trying my best to learn the lanuguage every day. Somedays I have no idea what to study but I study anyways!! It´s difficult and somedays when I have no idea what´s going on or what anyone is saying, I just pray.
I love Ruby already!!! I can´t wait to meet her!! Gavin will be the best big brother ever! haha. I'm glad that he still remembers me. haha.
I´m in the city of Sao Paulo...I´m pretty darn sure. haha. I really don´t know. It´s hard to know what´s going on sometimes haha. Our ward here is awesome!! The Bishop is awesome and likes to practice english with me, but I have to remind him that I need to learn portuguese haha. Oh, we also teach an english class every thursday. That´s fun! It helps my portuguese too. I was able to play the piano for sacrament meeting last sunday. That was fun as well :) Glad I had that opportunity! We eat at members' homes everyday (or at least try to) Every sunday we get a list of who we will eat lunch at. Yeah lunch is huge and then if we are lucky we get dinner. But lunch is definitely filling. I eat so much now and get so hungry. Last time I weighed myself I was 145 pounds I think not sure. It's like 66KG So whatever that is haha.
Oh how I miss little Gavin!! I´m glad he was so excited about Nursery!! haha that´s awesome!!
I´m pretty darn excited about conference this week!! Hopefully those that we have invited will come!!! And I get to listen to it in portuguese so.. let´s see if I get anything out of it!! hahah jk. I will.
Man Dad!!! You are on fire!!! 26 minutes faster huh?? You're pretty fast! "You're my hero Ferris!" hahaha. Anyways say hi to Jess and the gang (+1 more now!) Glad you guys could visit them!!!
Well, I miss you guys and think about you a lot!! You really learn the importance of families when you are away from them that´s for sure!! haha. But when I´m teaching, everything goes away and only that person matters. It definitely brings me a lot of joy. We just need people to teach now! haha. We will find some people. I did do some good street contacting the other day! haha. I´m trying to have no shame (não tenho vergonha!!) and just talking to people. I want to be the best I can be and show the Lord how much this means to me, even during the roughest parts.
Well I love you all!!
Love,
Elder Grant Shaw Merrill

Thrilled to get our e-mail--then to my surprise, he sent a another e-mail today!!!

Well, I have a little extra time to email some more! haha. I like that I can e-mail! So I have definitely learned that this church is built off the scriptures. Everytime I read them I find something in them that we do. Like it talks about keeping records in them and even things like that. We really do follow the scriptures. And every time I have had a question about something, I seem to always find it very soon while reading the scriptures!!! The scriptures are key for knowing this gospel is true because they are where the truth comes from. Revelation is scripture and so scriptures are essential. I encourage everyone to read and study and ponder them, everyday. Don´t forget a day. But study them. And study all the scriptures, not just the book of mormon, but all. There is new truth to be found in each. I love it!!
I love the time in the morning that I have to study the scriptures and preach my gospel! Oh and I get to watch DVDs! hahaha, that is the District dvds. For companionship study, which for me is 2 hours because I´m in a program that supposedly makes me ready for any position in 12 weeks. Llike I could be a trainer, zone leader, district leader in that time. We shall see haha. I´m learning the area better and members better now, but still have a hard time knowing exactly where we are. I´m sure getting a good leg work out that´s for sure. I love it haha. Oh and next package, cereal would be awesome to have or any type of food but that especially!!! Also, more of my favorite contact stuff. I´m going through that pretty quickly. Anyways just some ideas, who knows!! haha. Oh and because we have a zone conference this week, I think I get to check mail, so I will check for the package! Well, I´m running out of ideas to say, so I probably should just wrap things up.
I´m grateful for you mom and dad and I think about you everyday and how I´m trying to be the best missionary for you guys!! I pray for you everyday and hope that you guys are safe. I talk about you guys with the investigators that we have (when we have them hahah) and show them the pictures you sent me. Thanks for being the best example to me!!
Love once again, seu Filho, Amigo, e Irmão,
Elder Grant Shaw Merrill

No comments:

Post a Comment